Swim Home Online Calendar Gift Certificates Contact Us Blue Water News Payment Center Waiver Summer Camps
Blue Water Ventures Protocol Concerning Coronavirus~ COVID-19
For all Local Scheduled and Private Tours including School Groups and Summer Camps
August 9th, 2020 Update
We are committed to the health and well being of our guests and crew. We continue to monitor the evolving situation regarding the Coronavirus by reviewing updates put forth by the Center for Disease Controi and Prevention (CDC), Monterey and Santa Cruz County Health Departments.
For questions regarding our multi-day trips, please email Kim Powell at: email@example.com
Our tours always meet in the open fresh air, never indoors. Santa Cruz Harbor and North Moss Landing Harbor, where most of our tours originate are rarely crowded.
In Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, We screen our clients and guides before each tour and follow these protocols, see below.
Protocol for Sanitation
* We sterilize our kayak paddles before each use with a diluted bleach solution
* We wash our PFDs and spray skirts with a soapy water rinse after each use based on guidelines put forth by the CDC for soft surfaces
* We rinse the outside of our kayaks with soapy water or a diluted bleach solution after use
* Clients and Guides will be required to wear face masks during introductions and safety talk. Once on the water, masks may be lowered around your neck to be used as needed.
Protocol for Social Distancing While Kayaking
* Our tandem boats measure a few inches shy of six feet from cockpit seat to cockpit seat (Amaruks are 5'10" and Looskha T's are 5'8") Once seated, you are not facing your kayaking partner.
* Our kayaking tours are often less than 12 people. For most larger groups, we may designate two different meeting areas and you will be assigned a guide with a ratio of 10 clients to one guide.
School groups and summer camps are allowed 12 youth per group that are stable (no mixing with other groups or leaders) based on the California State Ordinance.
*6 Feet between all clients will be maintained during introductions and safety talk: Guides will demonstrate the proper use of foot pegs and rudders but will no longer adjust the rudder system for clients. Each client will adjust their own PFDs and spray skirts. Guides will provide a visual check of each client. We will no longer circle up during introductions but gather up using our 7 foot long paddles to maintain social distancing.
* While launching and kayaking, 6 feet will be maintained Extended Kayak paddles are a quick and easy way to measure and maintain social distancing on the water. Our kayak paddles measure over 7 feet in length.
* Forming rafts on the water will no longer occur while 6 feet social distancing is mandated, guides will "form loose gatherings" and project their voice while educating groups and will maintain 6 feet distance on the water
Protocol for Screening our Clients and Guides
* We screen our clients and guides. We reserve the right to refuse anyone on the morning of the trip who appears sick with a cough, fever, etc. We will offer them a credit for a future booking. Please don't arrive sick.
Please email us to discuss options for rescheduling.
* If a BWV guest or guide has traveled through an area identified by the CDC as warning Level 3 in the last 14 days prior to the tour we ask that you don’t join our tour. You may reschedule.
* If a BWV guest or guide has been in close contact with someone (within approximately 6 feet ) of a person known to have COVID-19 within the last 14 days prior to a scheduled trip, we ask that you don’t join our tour. You may reschedule.
* If a guest or guide develops flu-like symptoms (a fever, cough, and shortness of breath) within 14 days prior to a scheduled trip, we ask that you don’t join our tour. You may reschedule.
* We ask that all clients and guides take their temperature the morning of a tour. If your temperature is above 100, we ask that you don’t join our tour. You may reschedule.
* Please remember proper trip hygiene such as coughing into a bent elbow, use of hand sanitizer, a reminder to not touch your face and to dunk hands into sea water as needed for rinsing while on the water.
STAY EDUCATED REGARDING COVID-19
For More information, Please visit the Center for Disease Control at CDC and the COVID-19
Ultimately, we want everyone to remain safe and healthy. Lets work together to make this happen.
Until the Sea Otter pops up to greet us!
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St. Santa Cruz, CA 95060